Wednesday, January 17, 2007

#6 Instant Messaging

Okay, so if you click on the link for instant messaging on the PVLD Learning Blog, you will see a list of directions for instant messaging. First, I went to the link for aimexpress. I already have an aim screen name which I use all the time and I don't mind using it for library purposes, which I may want to change later. Since I've created a library email address for these new technologies, a library blog for library related purposes specifically to myself, and other work oriented library log ins with user name and passwords, I probably should create a library (work-related) aim username and password. But for now, I choose to just keep the one I have. I had to reset my password because I have a MAC at home (again). With the mac, I use ichat, software that comes with the mac for instant messaging. This software hooks up to aim or mac.com instant messaging. Because it logs me in automatically when I click on ichat, I forgot my username and password, which is why I had to reset it. I may now have to reset the one I have at home to coordinate with the ichat software, which goes to show, I probably should have created a work aim username and password. (Sigh). My screen name is LaurieA. I know that a buddy list is the list and location of where I can find my fellow im users. I'm going to now have to add PVLD2007 to my buddy list. I added PVLD2007 to my coworkers. I sent an instant message, but PVLD2007 was no longer signed in. landers7777: Hello.PVLD2007: PVLD2007 is no longer signed on. That was the auto reply. I had no trouble with pop up blockers as far as I could tell.

I have to say that I think this service is one of the best that can be used for libraries. I think it is a quick and easy way for staff to communicate with each other while on the desk, circulation or reference or at personal office desks. It is fabulous! Also, for regular patrons who ask a lot of reference questions or call the library a lot, it is a good service too. They can become a buddy of a librarian and send messages directly to the staff through an instant message service like aim. I am so excited about this as a service and for more direct staff communication. I think PVLD should use it more readily. This is my favorite learning technology thus far for PVLD.

Thanks!
Laurie

No comments: